DIRECTOR OF TECHNOLOGY
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Be a chief technical expert for our growing portfolio of digital projects.
- Lead a team of motivated, talented developers by detailing roadmaps for their projects, supporting execution of their work, and guiding their professional development by teaching new concepts and best practices.
- Conceptualize software development approaches and define execution plans for new website projects and existing projects.
- Develop software for internal projects and tooling, and occasionally support hands-on development for projects when expertise level or delivery/capacity demands call for it.
- Actively participate in business development—assessing opportunities, representing our technical expertise, scoping & estimating projects, contributing ideas to proposals, and pitching.
- Build the talent pool for our development practice, evaluating job applicants and auditing external partners to support company growth and expand development team capabilities.
- Oversee the work of external development partners to help conceptualize and oversee system enhancements and ensure quality standards, both in WordPress and Drupal.
- Co-design and implement internal processes and practices with the company’s leadership team that help us work smarter, faster, more profitably, and with ever-greater satisfaction.
- Work closely with the Director of Projects to forecast development needs and scheduling, outline project tasks, timeline, and resources, identify risks or potential blockers and provide solutions.
- Partner with our UX, Design, and Content team to make the design/development process collaborative, efficient, and effective—strategizing approaches to common tasks and creating reusable components and libraries to reduce or eliminate redundant work.
- Live and lead our company culture and values—creating space for the ideas of others, participating in discussions, and actively elevating the voices of members of your team.
- Develop thought leadership such as articles and webinars and attend events to strengthens Constructive position as a premium social justice design agency.
- Proactively “manage up” to the Founder & Executive Director, elevating development team needs and technology-related opportunities, and discussing goals and initiatives.
The Skills & Experience We’re Looking For
- 10+ years’ experience developing web software, with deep expertise in architecting and building large, complex, and content/data-heavy open source websites.
- 5+ years of experience with WordPress: in-depth knowledge of the underlying library and framework, the platform’s capabilities for backend customizations, extensions and overrides, and expertise introduce new custom functionality into the WordPress administration environment.
- 5+ years of managerial experience overseeing an in-house software development team, and additional experience overseeing external development teams.
- Deep expertise in PHP development, including Object Oriented Programming, SOLID design principles, continuous integration and delivery, and testing automation.
- A deep focus on the user experience, particularly through high-polish, exceptional front-end work that brings the vision of an organization’s brand to life online.
- Extremely strong communication skills and a collaborative spirit. You will be the voice of the company’s technology and team culture, both internally and externally.
Nice to Haves
- Strong Drupal knowledge
- Experience with Salesforce integration
- Experience creating external libraries that act as pluggable feature libraries for WordPress to reduce development efforts for common requests.
- A history of writing thought leadership or presenting on ideas related to tech for good, or tech in general
To be considered for this or any other exciting role please email a copy of your CV to cloud @oscartemple.com
Job Location: Maine