Position Title: Legal and Compliance Associate.
The Legal and Compliance Associate is responsible for leading the legal, compliance and governance functions of the Group, supporting the businesses and enabling the implementation of strategy to achieve firmwide goals. This individual will lead a team of legal professionals to provide excellent service and ensure the company operates within an optimal compliance framework.
- Provide legal advice and guidance in all matters concerning the laws and regulations governing the group, its staff, legal structure(s) and the conduct of its operations and transactions.
- Be responsible for the planning and execution of firmwide board meetings, board committee meetings and annual general meetings.
- Provide contract documentation and negotiation support across the group
- Maintain statutory books, including registers of members, directors and secretaries and ensure
- that corporate regulatory filings are up to date
- Provide adequate guidance to the board on their responsibilities and ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory obligations while managing the interface with regulators.
- Monitor changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and advise management on appropriate steps.
- Manage the group’s litigation portfolio in partnership with external legal counsel
- Maintain a detailed and efficient contract management and record keeping system
- Execute legal and compliance training initiatives within the Group.
- Provide legal & risk advisory as required in negotiations on corporate and commercial law issues, intellectual property protection, investment management and other sector specific regulations and trends.
- Proactively manage the Intellectual Property portfolio across the group
- Facilitate and manage regulatory and compliance-related initiatives particularly Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financial Terrorism (AML/CFT) regulations.
- Review Agreements ensuring the Company’s interest is always protected.
- Manage the interface with external legal counsel and other legal service providers.
- Maintain up-to-date information on developments and regulations that pertain to the Company’s business interests.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB), Barrister at Law (Nigerian Law School).
- 6 years’ proven work experience in a related position.
- Experience working with in the Financial Services Industry is an added advantage.
- Hand-on experience managing relationships and transactions with Capital Market Regulators.
- SEC Sponsored Individual Registration is strongly recommended.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Analytical thinker with strong theoretical and research proficiencies.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret legal documents.
- Commercial awareness and sound understanding of the business environment.
- Strong ethical values.
- A strong focus on excellence.
- Ability to plan and prioritize effectively.
- Possess a practical, flexible, and innovative approach to work.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication and business writing skills
- Strong decision-making abilities, attention to detail, and ability to give guidance in a timely manner
- Initiative, creativity, proactive and solution driven thinking.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team setting.
- Able to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and stakeholders; ability to build excellent working relationships.